Whittard of Chelsea recently launched a tea subscription service, called Tea Club (click for review!) Inside their first box was fruity herbal brew, Strawberry Mint.
I’ve recently been really enjoying the combination of strawberry and basil infused in water, so instead of thinking of using this blend in a sneaky mocktail, my mind linked strawberry with basil and went wandering into ideas of a fruity basil and mint salad dressing!
For anyone who has previously eaten or made a balsamic strawberry salad, you’ll know that that, despite sounding a little weird, the sweet and bitter flavours are entirely complimentary! Adding Strawberry Mint loose leaf into the mix gave an extra layer of herby flavour, whilst keeping every mouthful fruity, even if no strawberry was present on the fork!
- 2tsp Whittard of Chelsea Strawberry Mint Loose Leaf
- 20ml Plant Based Oil (Avacado, Olive, etc.)
- 50ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 5 Fresh Basil Leaves
- 100g Baby Leaf Spinach (or mixed leaves)
- 7-8 Strawberries
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Handfuls of Almonds
- Protein (Tofu, Goats Cheese or Feta)
Recipe serves 3
- Mix your chosen oil with balsamic vinegar.
- Finely chop basil leaves.
- Add basil leaves and loose leaf to liquid mix of oil and vinegar and stir until all leaves are coated.
- Set aside whilst you prep the salad.
Create the vinaigrette first! Letting the mixture sit enables the flavours to infuse more effectively, especially if you choose to strain the dressing.
- Place almonds under the grill (at about 150°C) until they start to darken.
- Finely chop onion and fry on a low heat until pieces start to clear.
- Chop strawberries into quarters and chosen protein into bite size chunks. (In an attempt to lead a more plant based diet, I've made my salad vegan and followed this feta tofu recipe - minus the oregano, but you can also use dairy feta or goats cheese.)
- Mix ingredients together in a large salad bowl.
- Optional Step: If you’re adverse to “bits”, then you may choose to strain the salad dressing for a smooth consistency however, I kept them for extra flavour!
- Evenly pour vinaigrette over salad, just before serving, and you’re ready to go!